We’re always thinking of using pumpkin for all of our baking, and dessert recipes but somehow we forget that pumpkins themselves aren’t actually sweet. You can also use this fall time gourd for savory dishes as well. Like this delicious Baked Pumpkin Mac and Cheese. We take a little help from the store using a packaged mac and cheese mix and stirring in fresh pumpkin that we roasted. It’s then scooped back into the pumpkins and baked until golden brown!
Roast the pumpkins in a 375 degree oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool down slightly. Then fluff the pumpkin insides with a fork.
Cook the sauce according to the package directions. Mine stated to melt butter in a sauce pot, add the seasonings and cook for a bit. Then slowly stream in the milk while whisking. Allow to thicken and then stir in the cheese sauce packet. Do that as directed, and then add the cooked pumpkin you scooped out.
Toss the noodles with the sauce to evenly combine.
Spoon the mac and cheese into the pumpkins from earlier and top with cheese and bread crumbs (my package came with a little packet of bread crumbs!)
Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 5 to 10 minutes, until heated through and golden brown and crispy on the top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
This is the perfect mac and cheese to serve at parties or gatherings..the individual portions in the tiny pumpkins are definitely a show stopper!
- 6 small pumpkins
- 1 (12.6 oz) package Kraft Homestyle Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- shredded cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil, set aside.
- Carefully cut off the tops of each pumpkin, using a serrated knife to make it easier to cut. Be careful as the pumpkins are really firm and can wobble when you go to cut them! Use a spoon to scoop out all of the seeds. Place pumpkins, cut side up, onto prepared baking sheet. Add 1 tablespoons of butter on top of each pumpkin, where the seeds were. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Fluff the insides with a fork and scoop out most of the flesh with a spoon, transferring it to a bowl.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, season with salt and add the macaroni. Cook until soft, drain and do not rinse. In the same pot, make the sauce, according to the package directions. Melt the remaining two tablespoons butter in the pot, and add the seasoning packet. Cook for a bit. Slowly stream in the milk while whisking and allow to thicken. Add the cheese sauce packet and stir in the reserved cooked pumpkin from earlier. Cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and stir in the noodles.
- Spoon the mac and cheese into the small pumpkins. Top with shredded cheese and sprinkle with the bread crumb packet. Bake for about 10 minutes to brown the tops. Enjoy!