I went on a bit of a Mediterranean kick a few weeks ago.
This is a super simple dish– even if it is packed with every vegetable I could find and it worked for everyone. Dave ate it as-is and since I haven’t been eating meat, I just ate the veggies. The great thing is you can basically add whichever vegetables on hand or make it with a different meat or make it without meat at all.
I started with all of these veggies (details are in the recipe card below) and chopped them into similarly sized pieces.
Now let’s cook this Mediterranean chicken up!
Sautee garlic and onions in olive oil over medium heat. Add in your chicken and cook until white all the way through– we’re going to keep cooking this chicken with the veggies so don’t over do it at this stage.
Next add in the heartier veggies– eggplant and mushrooms. If you had squash or zucchini this is the stage you’d throw them into the mix as well. Add in salt and pepper to give this some flavor.
Next add your tomatoes, olives, and artichokes until they’re heated through. Add the spinach last because you’ll have to cook it in batches since it starts as gigantic and then cooks down into nothing. I finished the dish with some fresh parsley because I happened to have some in the fridge but it was more for color than for taste.
This makes a yummy dish if you’re looking for something healthy for dinner. It’s great with our cilantro rice recipe as well.
- 1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breast or tenders
- 1 eggplant, chopped
- 1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup of artichoke hearts chopped
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch of spinach, washed well
- 1/2 cup of olives (any kind) chopped
- 1/2 cup of diced onions
- 3 cloves of garlic diced
- 2 tbls of olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Add oil to a large sautee pan and cook garlic and onions until heated (about 3 min)
- Add chicken and cook until opaque throughout
- Add in mushrooms and eggplant and cook until heated through -- don't overcook these, otherwise they'll be mush by the time you're finished cooking everything.
- Season well with salt and pepper
- Add in your tomatoes, artichokes and olives. Once they're heated through add in you spinach in batches and mix into other veggies until wilted and mixed in.
- Once everything is cooked, give it a taste test. Does it need more seasoning? Add it now. You can also mix in lemon juice or chili pepper flakes if you want more depth of flavor
- Serve alone or with rice or pasta... great thing to prep on Sunday and then eat for a healthy lunch throughout the week