I’m pretty excited about my watermelon bark you guys!
This is one of those recipes that I dreamed up in my mind (after seeing everyone else doing cool and creative bark online) and then Jonathan and I figured out how to make it a real thing. It’s absolutely darling for a summer party or a cute hostess gift and watermelon bark is so easy you can get your kiddos involved in the process.
The first thing you need to do is melt the white chocolate in a large bowl, set over a pot of simmering water. Make sure that the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Once melted, add the green food coloring and stir until fully colored. Pour the green white chocolate onto a pizza pan lined with wax or parchment paper. Spread out with a spatula into a large circle.
Allow to set and then melt the other bit of white chocolate in the same manner. This time, you wont dye it though. Pour in the center of the green chocolate and spread out, leaving an inch of green border all around.
Melt the last of the white chocolate in the same manner, and then dye with red food coloring. Stir until evenly colored and pour over the the other layers. Spread with a spatula, leaving a one inch border of white all around.
White the red layer hasn’t set, sprinkle the top with mini chocolate chips. This will be the seeds of the watermelon!
Let the whole thing set once more. Once the chocolate isn’t soft anymore, break it up with a knife or your hands. It doesn’t need to be perfect. The whole point of bark is to break it up in different shapes.
Enjoy your watermelon bark right away or store in an airtight container or food storage bag for up to 4 days. You can also divide them into cellophane bags, tie with a ribbon and give away as gifts.
- 3 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- green food coloring
- red food coloring
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Set a large bowl over simmering water, making sure that the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips and melt. Stir until smooth. Remove from the simmer water and stir in a few drops of green food coloring, stirring until fully colored.
- Pour the mixture onto a pizza pan, lined with parchment or wax paper. Spread into a large circle with a spatula in an even layer. Let rest until set.
- Place a clean bowl over the simmer water, and add 1/2 cup white chocolate chips. Melt once more and then pour over the green chocolate. Spread with a spatula, leaving a 1-inch order along the edges. Let once again.
- Place the bowl once more, over simmer water and add the remaining white chocolate. Stir until fully melted. Remove from heat and add a few drops of red food coloring. Stir until fully colored, and pour over the white chocolate. Spread into an even layer, leaving a 1-inch border of white all around. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips over the red layer and then allow to set.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, break it up into pieces with your hands or a knife. Eat right away or store in an airtight container or plastic bag until ready to eat.