Remember a few weeks ago when I was on Instagram trying to figure out how to make the barbacoa recipe from Chipotle in my slow cooker?
Well it took a few tries but I think I finally got really, really close to nailing it with this slow cooker Chipotle barbacoa recipe. For those of you who’ve never had barbacoa, it’s a flavorful latin pot roast. I dig it because it’s got so much flavor in the tang of the vinegar and the heat from the chipotle. I usually eat mine in a bowl (rice, beans, 8 different salsas, etc) but this is also perfection in a taco or a burrito.
Start seasoning the roast with salt and pepper on both sides, and then brown on each side in a heavy duty pot. Transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the garlic, chicken stock, seasonings and spices, lime juice and chipotle peppers.
Pour the mixture over the beef, and throw in the bay leaves and chopped onions.
Cook your slow cooker Chipotle barbacoa on low for about 8 to 10 hours or on high for about 4 to 6 hours. The meat should be tender and falling apart. Take two forks and shred.
Use the filling for tacos or burritos, or even burrito bowls! It’s the tastiest filling you’ll ever try… also, the leftovers are incredible! As I type this post I am eating some leftovers right now and they’re better than the were the day we made them.
You can make a big batch of it and keep it all week for different recipes. The great thing is that the longer it sits, the tastier it becomes!
- 1 (4 to 6 pound) boneless chuck roast
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 to 4 chipotle in adobe peppers
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- Season both sides of the roast with 2 teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons black pepper. Set a large pot over medium-high heat with the olive oil. Once hot, add the roast and brown on both sides, about 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, garlic, remaining salt, remaining black pepper, cumin, oregano, cloves, chicken broth, lime juice, and chipotle peppers. Pour over the beef and add the bay leaves and onion. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on low for 4 to 6 hours. It should be tender and falling apart. Take two forks and shred. Serve on tacos or burritos!