These blood orange mojitos might be the prettiest cocktail J’s ever made us… and that’s saying something since Strawberry Jalapeño and Pineapple Margaritas are so stinking gorgeous. But seriously, beyond just the pretty factor these are also delicious… and since blood oranges are in season, it’s the perfect time to up your happy hour game.
Start by muddling together fresh mint leaves with lime juice in a cocktail shaker.
Pour in ice, rum, agave syrup (as much as you like) and fresh blood orange juice. Place the lid on the shaker and shake vigorously until fully chilled. Fill a few glasses with ice and divide the mojito among each, leaving a bit of space at the top.
Top off each blood orange mojito with a bit of sparkling water. This adds a bit of fizziness to the mojitos, but it also helps bring everything together.
Garnish each glass with fresh mint, a lime wedge, and a slice of blood orange. That way people know exactly what they’re drinking.
These mojitos can be made with any fruit in season actually. Use fresh blackberries, strawberries, or even blueberries. Peaches would be great in the summer!
Once you get the method of making mojitos and learn the basics, you can customize them any way you’d like. Use your imagination and go crazy!
Mojitos are normally made with white rum, but if all you have on hand is dark rum, or even vodka, that will work too. The flavor will change a bit, but that’s okay!
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3 limes, 2 of them juiced and 1 cut into wedges
- 5 blood oranges, 4 of them juiced and 1 sliced
- 2 ounces agave syrup
- 4 ounces white rum
- 2 ounces, sparkling water
- In a cocktail shaker, combine a handful of mint leaves with the lime juice. Using a wooden spoon or muddler, muddle together to break down the mint. Fill the shaker with ice and pour in the blood orange juice, agave, and rum. Shake vigorously until chilled.
- Fill 2 glasses with ice and divide the mojito evenly among both. Top off each with sparkling water and garnish with fresh mint leaves, lime wedge, and a slice of blood orange.