When Jonathan pitched the idea for a breakfast pizza, I think he imagined something a little fancier than this. But then, Jonathan knows how I am by now so he wasn’t too surprised when I was like, “Yes, but can the ‘sauce’ be white gravy? And can it have sausage crumbles and cheddar?” So our mutual collaboration resulted in this delicious Breakfast Ciabatta Pizza…I don’t think I need to tell you guys that this is tasty as all get out and even though it says it’s for “breakfast,” you shouldn’t let that stop you from having it for lunch or dinner. Watch the video below for how I made them, then scroll down for the steps and the recipe.
Place the sliced bread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, let’s start the sausage gravy.
Brown the sausage in a medium saucepan, until browned and crispy. Then, stir the flour into the fat. Cook for a few minutes and stir in the milk.
Cook on low, stirring occasionally, until thickened. While the gravy cooks, let’s scramble up some eggs for the pizza.
A few tips for making the perfect scrambled eggs: Always whisk them in a separate bowl with a splash of milk before adding them to the hot skillet. Cook them on low, stirring often. Do not overcook them. They should be somewhat running, but not too runny. You want a soft scramble.
Spread the toasted ciabatta bread with the sausage gravy. Don’t be shy about it either.
Top with the scrambled eggs and sprinkle with lots of shredded cheese.
Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and everything has heated through. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with a few chopped chives or bacon, if you want to go that route.
Play around with the toppings for your breakfast ciabatta pizza. Add some veggies if you want to feel a little less guilty! Or add bacon or ham if you want to take things up a notch.
- 1 long ciabatta loaf
- 1 pound breakfast sausage, casing removed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the ciabatta in half and then each half in half once more (length wise) so you end up with 4 half pieces of bread. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Set a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned and crispy, about 10 minutes. Make sure to break down with a wooden spoon. Add the flour, stir and cook for about a minute. Stir in 1 1/2 cups milk and cook, stirring occasionally, on low until thickened. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and 3 tablespoons milk until well combined. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a non-stick skillet over low heat. Add the eggs and cook until soft scrambled.
- Spread the gravy on top of the toasted ciabatta pieces. Top with the eggs and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chives. Cut and serve immediately.