For this week’s $3 dinner I thought pizzas would be fun! After all, kiddos love pizza and when it’s a super simple version like this Margherita French Bread Pizza moms and dads love it too! ~Rachel
We begin by toasting the bread in the oven first. Brush the bread with the garlic, herb infused olive oil. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 5 minutes. We just want the garlic oil to stick to it.
Pour the canned tomatoes in the skillet with the remaining garlic herb olive oil. Cook down for about 15 minutes.
Pour the sauce over the toasted bread.
Top the pizzas with shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan. Add a few sliced tomatoes to the top of each.
Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bread has crisped a bit. Sprinkle with fresh basil at the very end, right before serving.
I mean seriously, how good does this Margherita french bread pizza look??
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 large french baguette
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil (for easier clean up).
- Heat a sauce pot over medium heat. Add the oil and allow to heat through. Throw in the garlic, oregano, basil and chili flakes. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Cut the french bread in half down the middle and then half again horizontal, so you end up with four pieces. Brush the bread (cut side) with half of the garlic herb oil. Bake for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set to the side.
- Return the remaining garlic oil to the stove, over medium heat, and throw in the canned tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, reduce to low and cook down for about 10 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the toasted bread halves. Sprinkle each with cheeses and top with sliced tomatoes. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh basil. Enjoy!