Squaw Corn is one of my Auntie Di’s recipes and it’s a crowd favorite! It’s made with corn, bacon, peppers and onions and it makes for one heck of a Thanksgiving side dish! Watch the video below for the steps then scroll down to get the recipe!
To make squaw corn you start by cooking your bacon. Once it’s cooked through remove from the pan (place on paper towel to soak up the grease) and add peppers and onions to cook in the bacon grease.
Cook veggies for about five minutes on medium heat and then you can add bacon back in. Next up comes the corn!
Now mix all ingredients together and season generously with salt and pepper!
I like to allow mine to simmer for about an hour so the flavors really mix together well. Once your ready to serve transfer to a pretty casserole dish or bowl and your Squaw Corn is all set!
- 1 Pound of Bacon - Diced and Cooked
- 1 White or Yellow Onion - Diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper - Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper - Diced
- 1 Can of Whole Kernel Corn
- 1 Can of Cream Style Corn
- Salt and Pepper
- Fry Bacon, remove from grease and place on a paper towel
- Cook peppers and onion in bacon grease for about five minutes
- Add bacon back into peppers and sauté for a few minutes
- Add both cans of corn and seasoning.
- Simmer on low heat for at least an hour for flavors to combine.