Even though we all love a good mashed potato, we do have to stay open to many different options when it comes to side dishes. If you’ve never tried mashed cauliflower before, then you’re missing out. It’s the perfect substitute for a potato and it happens to be extremely easy to make!
Bring a large pot of cold water to a boil and season liberally with salt (just like if you’re making mashed potatoes). Add the cauliflower florets and cook until tender. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
Once you’ve mashed the cauliflower with the butter, buttermilk, salt, pepper and garlic powder, stir in the chives.
Top with a pat of butter and a few more grinds of black pepper right before serving. It makes for the best side dish to any meal. Let’s mix things up and try new recipes!
- 2 pounds cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- Bring a large pot of cold water to a boil. Season with salt and add the cauliflower. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash with the butter, buttermilk, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir in the chives and serve right way. Enjoy!