My all time favorite breakfast dish is hash browns. Nothing beats a big plate of crispy browned shredded potatoes with a fried egg on top. I usually only eat them when I go out for breakfast because they’re kind of a hassle to make, but not anymore. Here at The Chic we’ve learned that you can stick them in a waffle iron and cook them without all of the complicated shredded and frying.
The first thing we need to do is cook the peppers and onion to get them soft before mixing them in with the potatoes.
Once the veggies are soft, go ahead and mix them with the thawed hash browns. Using store bought frozen hash browns is a great way to make these super quick, without all of that hard work!
Heat a waffle iron until hot, and grease with cooking spray on the top and bottom. Add a large portion of the potatoes and spread it out somewhat into a single layer.
Press down on the top of the waffle iron so you pack in the potatoes. You might have to let it cook for two cycles to get the perfect brownness. It all depends on your waffle iron.
And just like that, you have easy to make Waffle Iron Hash Browns! It’s perfect on those mornings during the week when you don’t have a lot of time, or on the weekends when your free time is precious! Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bag frozen hash browns, thawed
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the oil, and sauté the veggies until soft or just beginning to caramelize. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, veggies, salt and pepper. Mix to evenly combine.
- Heat a waffle iron until super hot. Lightly grease the insides with cooking spray. Add about 1/2 cup of the filling and spread it out evenly into a single layer. Cook for two cycles or until golden brown and crispy. Carefully remove and place on a plate or baking sheet. Continue making hash brown waffles until the filling is used up. Reheat in a warm oven. Enjoy!