One of my favorite things to eat during the summer is a big BBQ spread. Grilled chicken and tri-tip with all the fixings. We can’t forget about the baked beans, that’s the best part. These Slow Cooker Baked Beans are jam-packed with tons of flavor. Maple syrup, brown sugar, bacon and bourbon take them over the edge. They’re the best baked beans you’ll ever eat!
This recipe requires just a little bit of cooking before we actually get to the slow cooker part, but it’s super easy.
Then just throw everything into a slow cooker, turn it on low (for 4 hours) or high (for 2 hours) and forget about it. No stirring necessary. You can leave them cooking, while you go finish the rest of your errands or crossing off those to-do list items around the house.
After the 2 (or 4 hours if on high) the beans will smell incredible. The alcohol from the bourbon will cook off and all that will be left is delicious summer BBQ flavor. The sauce will have thickened and the beans will be perfect.
Serve these alongside all of your summer BBQ favorites! They’re even great as a side to sandwiches or hot dogs for that perfect weekend lunch. The bourbon is completely optional if you’re not really feeling it. Dust off those slow cookers and give this one a try. Be sure to let us know what you think, by leaving a comment below. We’d love to hear from you! Enjoy!
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, chopped (optional)
- 4 (15 oz) cans navy beans
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crispy, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Toss most of the grease, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the skillet. Add the chopped onions, green bell pepper, and jalapeño. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft. About 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the beans in a colander, reserving two of the cans' liquid. Add the beans, the reserved liquid, cooked bacon, sautéd vegetables, and the rest of the ingredients to a slower cooker. Stir until completely combined. Cook on low for about 4 hours or on high for about 2 hours. Eat while hot. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge and rewarmed before eating. Enjoy!