Lava Flow Cocktail
March 21st, 2014
I constantly have summer on the brain. I love the warmth of the sun, the long days, the general carefree attitude of people during the summer months. I’ve been feigning mojitos and sangria until Rachel told me about one of her favorite summer drinks- the lava flow cocktail.
Aptly named, this cocktail really does remind me of molten lava flowing down a charred volcano. However, until hot flowing lava that’s probably some thousand degrees, this cocktail frosty and cold and sure to cool you down.
This cocktail is fairly simple to make. You need a good blender and the following ingredients: Malibu coconut rum, cream of coconut, light (white) rum, frozen strawberries, pineapple juice, a fresh pineapple (optional for garnish), and some ice.
Some variations use banana, but I decided not to. I feel that banana can be a little overpowering. This was my first real lava flow cocktail. The last time I went to Hawaii, I just two years shy of the legal drinking age. Alas, I was given a non-alcohol version (still tasty nonetheless).
- 4 oz coconut rum
- 4 oz light (white) rum
- 10 oz frozen strawberries
- 8 oz pineapple juice
- 8 oz cream of coconut
- 2 cups crushed ice
- fresh pineapple wedges, for garnish
- In a blender, combine coconut rum, light rum, and strawberries. Blend to a puree. Transfer to a clean pitcher.
- Clean and wash out blender. Add pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and crushed ice. Blend until smooth.
- Divide strawberry rum puree among 4 serving classes. Slowly pour pineapple coconut mixture into the glass. The red mixture will evenly swirl with the white mixture.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge and serve immediately.