“Why are there so many songs about rainbows? And what’s on the other side? Rainbow’s are visions, they’re only illusions, and rainbows have nothing to hide. So we’ve been told and some choose to believe it, but I know they’re wrong, wait and see..
Someday we’ll find it,
The Rainbow Connection,
the lovers, the dreamers, and meeee”
I love rainbows. I love Kermit. And I without a doubt, love cookies. Put them all together and you get these super fun and colorful rainbow cookies.
I grew up watching The Muppet Babies cartoon. I’ve seen all the Muppet movies, including the most recent one. Kermit’s songs and little life lessons brings nothing but happy memories of my childhood.
After all these years, The Rainbow Connection is still one of my favorite songs. I’m a dreamer, a hopeless romantic, a believer of miracles, good deeds, and happily ever afters. It is only natural that I’d one day make these rainbow cookies.
The secret to these cookies are Jell-O powder and food gel paste coloring. The base of the cookies are regular plain sugar cookies. Once rolled in a little Jell-O, the sugar cookies take on a new color and flavoring. Choose your favorite flavors or combine different doughs together to make swirls or fancy designs. You can also decorate the cookies with corresponding sprinkles and sanding sugars.
Jello Rainbow Cookies
1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
Flavored Jell-O packets of your choice (I used cherry, orange, lemon, berry blue, and grape)
Food gel paste in desired colors, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a couple baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth. Add sugar and continue to mix until light and fluffy. Scrape down bowl as needed to ensure thorough mixing. Add egg and mix until incorporated.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add dry mixture to mixing bowl in three additions. Mix on low speed until dough forms.
4. Divide cookie dough into 6 equal parts. Add 1 1/2 Tbsp of jello powder to each part. Fold or knead to combine.
5. If vibrant color is desired, add a couple drops of food gel paste color. Knead to combine. Continue to add more gel color until desired hue is achieved.
6. Working with one color/flavor at a time, portion out batter into 1-inch balls using a small cookie scoop or a tablespoon. Roll dough in the palm of your hands to make smooth.
7. Coat each cookie ball into its corresponding Jell-O powder. Place cookie balls on prepared baking sheets, spacing them out about 2 inch apart. Use the heavy bottom of a drinking glass to flatten out the cookies.
8. Pop the cookies in the oven for 8-10 minutes until cookies have slightly puffed up and the edges are set. Let cool in baking sheet for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
recipe adapted from I Heart Nap Time