Back in the day — and by “day” I mean, about three years ago — I thought it would be really fun to make a video with Ford. He was this deliciously plump little baby who spent most of his time in my arms and I wanted to prove it was possible to make a dinner with a baby on my hip, so I made my spinach chicken bake just like that. The video is actually super amateur, but Ford is there showing off his perfect little tummy, so it’s worth a gander. At the time I made this video I was a newish blogger and I didn’t understand that readers and fans would want the actual recipe. So after 9,000 email requests here is the recipe for my spinach chicken bake… sorry it took three years.
Let’s start by sautéing the spinach and mushrooms in a little bit of olive oil until the spinach and mushrooms have wilted.
Add the diced tomatoes and allow to cook down until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, season the chicken liberally with salt and black pepper and set in a single layer, in a baking dish that has been lightly greased. Top with two slices of provolone cheese on each.
Carefully spoon the veggies and sauce over the chicken to completely cover it. Throw the liquid in as well.
Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes in a preheated 375 degree F oven or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of about 165 degrees F with a food thermometer.
Serve the spinach chicken bake alongside a simple salad or a bed of rice or even mixed steamed vegetables. You’ll have dinner ready in no time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (6 ounce) bag baby spinach
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and sauté the spinach and mushrooms until wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with a bit of salt and black pepper. Stir in the tomatoes and cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish and set the chicken in a single layer. Season with salt and black pepper. Lay 2 slices of cheese on top of each chicken breast, and pour the sauce and veggies over the chicken.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.