A few weeks ago I wrote about my meal planning and how I stock my fridge in advance to help me stay on a high protein diet. One of the things I spoke about making in advance was chicken salad and probably fifty people emailed asking if I’d share the recipe. So here you go, this chicken salad recipe is directly from my Mama and it’s so yummy!
You can use the canned chicken in this recipe if you’ve got it but Mama always made it with leftover chicken or rotisserie from the grocery store.
The water chestnuts, and celery add great crunch! You can also add almonds if you want a little more protein!
I make this chicken salad on Sunday and then eat on it all week long. I like it on top of a bed of lettuce or spinach but I’ve also been known to eat it straight out of the bowl!
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skinned and shredded
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup celery, diced (about 3 stalks)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl until evenly incorporated. Give it a taste and adjust seasonings accordingly. Serve immediately or store in fridge until ready to serve!