This shredded chicken filling is super easy to make, thanks to our slow-cooker! The great thing is that you can combine everything, cover and set on low and go about your day. Then by the time dinner rolls around, you’ll have something tasty and flavorful to feed your family. Make a big batch and use the leftovers in other dishes!
I used chicken breast that I cut up into chunks, but feel free to use thighs if you prefer dark meat.
Once done, take two forks or a pair of tongs and break down the chicken as best you can. It’ll be so tender that it’ll shred easily for you!
Use this base as a taco filling, piling it into tortillas and topping them with all of your favorite taco toppings!
The longer the chicken sits in the fridge, the better it tastes. If I were you, I’d make a double batch (it’ll fit in your slow cooker) and use the chicken for other dinners later in the week! Or you can just have slow-cooker shredded chicken tacos multiple days!
- 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14oz) can crushed tomatoes
- lime wedges
- sour cream
- hot sauce
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the chicken, broth, taco seasoning mix, onion, lime juice, garlic and crushed tomatoes. Cover and cook for about 3 to 4 hours on high or 6 to 7 on low. Once done, take a pair of tongs and shred the chicken. It'll be tender enough to shred easily.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings!