What’s more delicious than a creamy, cheesy soup on a cold winter’s night? How about a soup so easy to make thanks to our slow cooker? Yeah, that sounds great to us too. That’s why we came up with this Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup. It’s everything we love about winter!
There’s only a little bit of cooking involved but it’s super easy. After this, you just dump everything into the slow cooker I promise.
Combine the onion, garlic, broccoli, chicken broth, cream cheese, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning in the bowl of a slow cooker.
Stir in the thickened milk sauce, cover and cook.
Right before serving, stir in the cheese and allow to melt.
Serve with a sprinkling more of cheese because let’s be honest, there can never be enough cheese. Maybe sprinkle a few croutons if you have some lying around.
You might want to make a double batch of this because leftovers the next day are even better.
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 2 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Add the butter and allow to melt. Stir in the flour, whisking thoroughly and cooking for a few seconds to develop the flavor. Slowly stream in the milk and whisk until the flour and butter have fully dissolved into the milk. Cook until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the chicken (or vegetable) broth, onion, garlic, broccoli, cream cheese, seasonings and thickened milk until evenly combined. Cover and cook on low for about 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Before serving, stir in 2 cups of cheddar cheese until melted. Serve with a sprinkling more of cheese if desired. Enjoy!