It’s winter and we’re looking for delicious, heart warming and comforting meals but without too much work. These Oven Braised Drumsticks with veggies is the perfect dinner that’s both filling and super tasty. Chicken legs are slow cooked in the oven with lots of hearty vegetables until soft and tender. What can be better?
After all of the chicken has browned and you’ve transferred it to a platter, add the wine and mustard to the hot pot. This will get you going on the sauce.
Throw in two sprigs of fresh rosemary and a couple of whole garlic cloves that have been peeled.
Arrange the seared chicken legs on top of the vegetables, doing your best to snuggle them in there.
Place the pot in a preheated 450 degree F oven for about 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is crispy and cooked through. It should read about 165 with a thermometer!
Remove your oven braised drumsticks from the oven and transfer it to a nice platter for serving.
You can serve this chicken with a tossed green salad along with the veggies on the side. It’s the perfect winter meal that will warm you up. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds chicken legs, cleaned and dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups dry white wine (such as Chardonnay)
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 pound small red potatoes, quartered
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Heat a large heavy duty dutch oven over medium heat with 2 tablespoons olive oil. In a large bowl, toss together the chicken with all of the seasonings and Worcestershire sauce. Sear the chicken, in batches, for about 2 to 3 minutes per side. We're not looking to cook it all the way through, just browning it. Transfer to a plate or platter and continue browning the rest.
- Add the wine and mustard to the hot skillet and allow to cook down for about 3 minutes along with the rosemary and garlic. Remove from heat and toss in the vegetables. Arrange the chicken on top of the veggies.
- Place the pot in the oven and cook for about 50 minutes to 1 hour or until the veggies are tender and the chicken is cooked through and crispy. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve chicken with veggies.