The Chic’s #CHIC3DD meals are back! In this edition we’re bringing you these delicious Avocado Tuna Melts! With just 12 bucks you can feed your family of four. Ditch those trips to the drive-thru and give your family something you can actually be proud of! Healthy and cost efficient, this sandwich is the perfect weeknight meal!
I’m not a big fan of mayo in my tuna, so I like to mix mine up with olive oil and lemon juice instead. Olive oil, salt and pepper, I count as freebees since I usually have those in the pantry all the time! So don’t count those against the price of the groceries!
Once the tuna is all mixed up, toast the bread slices. I used a french loaf and cut into thick slices. It’s heartier that way and you don’t have to worry about sandwiching them together since this it’s supposed to be an open-faced sandwich!
Lay down a couple slices of thinly sliced tomato and avocado on each slide of toasted bread.
Pile the tuna salad on top of the tomatoes and avocado. Don’t be afraid to really pile it on high. It might seem crazy to just keep adding to the sandwiches, but the melted cheese will hold it all together, so you’ll be good to go.
Top each of the sandwiches with a slice of swiss cheese.
Place under the broiler for a couple of minutes to just melt the cheese. We’re not really looking to cook anything, just want to melt the cheese and get it somewhat bubbly.
The melted cheese not only acts like a delicious ingredient to this recipe, but it also, acts like “glue or tape” to the sandwich itself. It prevents the tuna, tomato or avocado from slipping and making a mess. In reality, when you really think about it, cheese is a life savor. Cheese holds things together.
Next time you’re looking for an affordable meal to make for your family, give these open-faced avocado tuna melts a try. The addition of avocado to your tuna will make your family love it!
- 1 large tuna can (in water), drained
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard (or dijon) (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 2 avocados
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 slices bread
- Preheat broiler.
- In a large bowl, combine the tuna, red onion, scallions, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, mustard (if using), salt and black pepper. Mix to evenly combine.
- Toast the bread and arrange on a baking sheet. Top each bread with 2 slices of tomato, and a couple slices of avocado. Divide the tuna among each sandwich, piling it on top of the tomato and avocado.
- Lay a slice of cheese on top of the tuna and place under the broiler for a few seconds, just until melted. Serve right away and enjoy!