Growing up I loved rice krispie treats. It was my all time favorite treat. My mom would make them for my sisters and I all the time. It wasn’t until I got older, though, that I realized just how great peanut butter rice krispie treats actually are. So now it’s the only way I make them. I’ve tried to convince my mom to add peanut butter to hers, but she’s very traditional.
You can make these treats in the microwave or on the stovetop. Either way, melt the marshmallows and butter until completely smooth and lump free. Remove from the heat (if using stovetop) and add the peanut butter. Mix until well combined.
Quickly stir in the rice krispies cereal until they are fully moistened by the peanut butter marshmallow, and then mix in the peanut butter chips.
Throw the mixture into a greased 9 or 8-inch square baking dish. Press it out evenly with a rubber spatula.
Allow to set for about 10 minutes before cutting. Cut into large squares and enjoy! Leftovers can be stored at room temperature, individually wrapped in plastic.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 package (10 ounce) miniature marshmallows
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ peanut butter chips
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- Grease an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan. Set aside.
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Add the butter and marshmallows and stir until both are fully melted. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter until smooth. Add the rice cereal and peanut butter chips, and mix until well incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking pan and press out evenly with a rubber spatula. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to set, before cutting. Cut into large squares and enjoy! Leftovers can be stored at room temperature, wrapped individually with plastic.