Homemade Eczema Cream

TheChic_homemade-eczema-cream-1

Sitting around a table full of women, the conversation quickly turned to beauty. And I learned from a new friend, her not-so-secret recipe for keeping her baby girl’s eczema at bay. Having sensitive skin myself, I had to try this homemade eczema cream. It’s also a great natural alternative to strong steroid creams. Here’s the quick and easy recipe to soothe your skin and scalp and calm any irritation. ~Brandee

Homemade Eczema Cream Recipe

1/4 cup old fashioned oats, ground to fine powder

3/4 cup virgin coconut oil

10 drops rosemary oil

1 tbsp olive oil

TheChic_DIY-eczema-cream

Directions for Homemade Eczema Cream

1. Melt coconut oil for 20 seconds in pan on low heat to liquify.

2. Add 10 drops of rosemary oil (or preferred essential oil) and mix in ground oats.

3. Remove from heat and add olive oil.  Stir to combine.

4. Transfer mixture to small glass bowl and let harden in fridge.

Recipe inspired by DIY Confessions.

Eczema cream

69 Responses to “Homemade Eczema Cream”

1. Jenny

Can you use it around the eyes? Can you use all over your body, for example your face?

2. Yesenia

How long does it need to stay in the fridge for? Also is it bad if the oats were not all powder?

3. Annie

Hi, thank you for the recipe. I cannot wait to make it and use it for my 4 year old little one.
    His eczema is not getting any better so I must try this cream.

One question though, after letting it harden in the fridge, can I whip it?
    So, it is like a body butter? Just whip it after getting it out of the fridge.

Please advise. Many thanks.

• Brandee James

Hi Annie! I love a whipped body butter and I think that would work well for this cream. Just let it sit out a bit to soften if it is too hard from the fridge. My friend has also used this in her little girl’s scalp if that is helpful. Please let me know how it turns out!

• Yesenia

This cream has been a life savor. I have seen a drastic improvement in my son skin! Thank you Brandee

4. Yesenia

Annie my son has severe eczema and have seen a difference in his skin after 5 days! No more steroid cream for my son!

5. Pauline

Thank you for the recipe. Cannot wait to try it on my 14 year olds eczema around his elbow. Any idea on result and how long it takes?

• Brandee James

Hi Pauline! Glad you are going to give it a try. It varies for each person, but the key is to be consistent with applying every day. Would love to know in a few weeks how it has worked for you!

6. Annie

Hi Brandee and Yesenia – thank you for replying and your feedback.
    🙂

I tried this cream but I made it with Shea butter and added Vitamin E oil as well as added Organic Geranium and Lavender essential oils including the Organic Rosemary essential oil as you suggested. I did whip it as well after cooling it for a bit.
    I must tell you, only after 3 applies, I started noticing the difference!!!! I could not believe it so I kept quiet. I thought it is in my head but honestly it has been three days now and I apply it every day on him and every day it is getting better by the grace of God.

I absolutely love it and have already received two orders for this cream.
    🙂

• Brandee James

Hi Annie! This news made my day! I’m so happy this is working for you. What a great idea to use Geranium and Lavender. Keep us posted!

7. Kathleen

Did Annie replace the coconut oil with Shea Butter? My daughter can’t use sunscreens or lotions with coconut oil so I need an alternative.

8. Linda

Hi Annie, in your blend with Shea Butter, did you use the same number of drops foe the 3 essential oils?
    Thank you.

• Annie

Hi Linda, Yes I used the same drops of number or maybe a couple more. It turned out pretty good. I put it everyday on my son’s whole body as his whole body has eczema but it is vanishing … the legs and arms are very light on scars now – there are only two spots left which are also slowly vanishing away quickly. I love this cream. Making more this week for my sister and on order. 🙂

Wish you good luck!

9. Jess

Thanks for this recipe! I have bad eczema in the winter and get pretty desperate for good lotion. I’ve found that Babo Bontanicals baby lotion works best but it’s expensive. I think I’m going to make this cream and use calendula infused grapeseed oil in place of the olive oil because calendula is a lifesaver for dry skin.

10. Audrey

I have Eucalyptus oil and Japanese Mint oil. Could I use either one of those in place of the rosemary?

11. Monique

Thanks so much for the recipe. Its been a little over a week and the difference with my eczema has been amazing. I was wondering since the last of my eczema scars are fianlly gone, do I still continue to use the cream, or should I just stop using it?

• Brandee James

Hi Monique, I am so happy to hear your skin is healing and you are feeling better about it. If the cream is still soothing, it’s fine to keep using. You may also consider changing all your lotions and creams to organic to keep skin calm. Happy to recommend things if you would like. Have a great day!

12. Didi

Hello,
    Very nice recipe :
    But i have a question why the use of rosemary oil? What are the properties in it that can help eczema?
    Thanks

• Rachel Hollis

Hi Didi,
      Rosemary essential oil has antimicrobial and antiseptic qualities that make it beneficial in efforts to eliminate eczema, dermatitis, oily skin, and acne. Or so says our research when we were looking into making this. We’ve had great reaction from our readers so I believe it’s worked out well for everyone who’s tried it. ~Rachel

13. Sarah

I just made this today, with a few changes for my 2-year-old…I used a mixture of frankinsence, tangerine, grapefuit, bergamont and vanilla oil (I have read it is better to wait to use rosemary until the kiddos are 10+). I also added a bit of beeswax and shea butter (about a quater cup of each). It came out lovely, but the oatmeal was like rubbing sand into my skin. Is that how it is supposed to be? It was fine for my hands, and helped exfoliate them, but when I rubbed it on my daughter’s skin, she said it felt “spikey”. Did I do something wrong? Is this something you put on before a bath? I ended up rubbing it in (thankfully her eczema is not so bad right now), and then used a towel to brush off all the ground oatmeal left sticking to her like sand. Advice?

• Rachel Hollis

Hi Sarah,
      The oats should be ground to a fine powder as per the instructions. Did you do that step? The only thing I can think of that would make the oats feel “spiky” is if they were still too big. I’m so sorry that it didn’t turn out just right the first time, especially for her little sensitive skin. ~Rachel

14. Lynn

hi! Are the ground oats supposed to sink to the bottom of the mixture once in the fridge?

15. emily

Thanks! So it is supposed to feel like a gentle exfoliant or did I not get the oatmeal powdery enough? Also when I poured it in the glass bowl the container the oatmeal sank to the bottom, is this right? I whipped it up and that helped but don’t know if you’re still supposed to be able to feel the oatmeal or not? Thanks!

16. Erin

This is just what I’ve been looking for! I use coconut oil everyday for my eczema but sometime just need a little more! but then I’m lazy and don’t want to spend hours making something or having to find strange ingredients! This was just what I needed! Hopefully my skin agrees too!

17. Cait

I have been battling eczema the last couple of winters, and it was much worse this winter. I couldn’t find anything to help… until I made this! This kills the itching after a few minutes and is finally allowing my skin to heal. Thank you very much for posting, I can’t thank you enough!
    I tried my first batch as a whipped butter. I had ground the oatmeal very fine but still found this to be gritty when I whipped it with a hand mixer. The grittiness was irritating to my skin. So I let it melt and reharden, which allowed the gritty pierces to fall to the bottom, and the cream was completely smooth. Enough of the oatmeal melted into the hot oil in the beginning to make this work perfectly. So just as an fyi, if your skin is super sensitive and cannot handle that texture, it is good to let those bigger pieces sink to the bottom and avoid them (and not who it up!)
    I have made a couple batches now and am so happy with this!!

18. aleatta

I really want to try this! My 19 month old son has very sensitive skin. I’ve tried just about every store bought soap and lotions combination and the only thing that works is a local, homemade soap and Aveeno baby excema lotion. Change up that order of bathing and he will break out everywhere! My question, I’ve heard that rosemary is moisturizing. ( I use it in my homemade dog shampoo) But is it necessary for this recipe? Or is it only for fragrance? Can I leave it out?

19. Olivia R

My 5 year old has excema and this time of year with all the swimming in pools, lakes, etc. his skin goes crazy! I’m very excited to try this recipe! I was wondering about storage…How long can this cream be stored for and what are the most desirable storage conditions? Thank you!

• Rachel Hollis

I suggest storing it in the fridge (the temperature is also soothing to irritated skin) and i believe it can last for up to a month.

20. Susan

I am going to try to make this for my sister. I want to know where I can find the coconut oil, rosemary oil, and olive oil?

• Jeannette

I am very much looking forward to trying this! I have everything except the Rosemary. I have very dry skin and my friend Faith has excema, so I’m going to make two batches. Thank you very much.
      Susan, try Amazon.com or vitacost.com for the three you asked for. I hope you see this!

21. Madhu

Can instant oats be used for this recepie or only rolled oats? When you apply this mixture , the oats powder will not absorb right ??

22. lily

I live in a tropical country, the cream turn watery if it is not kept in fridge. But if i keep it in fridge it solidify. Any ways to keep it in cream form outside the fridge? Thank you

×