Quinoa Salad

Curious Quinoa

I’m not sure how familiar you all are with quinoa but in the last couple of years it’s become the trendy new grain. Yes, I said trendy new grain because it’s popped up on every menu from here to New York and people talk about it like they discuss tuxedo jackets or whether or not bangs are in this season. I like it as a substitute for rice because it’s easy to cook and unlike rice it has tons of protein. I usually serve it hot as a dinner side dish but for this recipe I used it in a cold salad and the results were de-lish!

Here’s What You’ll Need

1 Cup of Cooked Quinoa – found in the rice/grain section of your grocery store

Cherry Tomatoes – washed

1 English Cucumber – washed and cut into cubes

1/3 a Bunch of Fresh Parsley – Washed and diced

1 Can of Garbanzo Beans

Dressing

Pepper & Salt – As needed

All The Good Stuff

This salad is really similar to a pasta salad so as far as veggies are concerned I think, the more the merrier! Throw in onions or peppercinis, try marinated artichoke hearts or even olives. If you like it, it’ll probably taste good.

Ready to Mix

First just cook your quinoa per package instructions (it’s a similar ratio to cooking rice). Then allow quinoa to cool. Once cool add quinoa to your veggies in a large bowl and toss together with the dressing of your choice. In this case I whisked equal parts olive oil and balsamic in a small bowl and then added to the salad. If you don’t want to make your own you can add store bought balsamic vinaigrette, Italian salad dressing, etc. Pretty much any oil based salad dressing would be tasty but if you’re unsure just mix a little bowl with the salad dressing you’re considering to be sure you like the flavors before sacrificing the whole bowl. Season with salt and pepper and you’re ready to serve.

Ready for a Picnic

Rather than serve my salad in a bowl I served mine in individual mason jars. It’s a bit more fun and guests can enjoy your spring party with these in hand and still walk around to mingle at the same time.

Want more great recipes like this one? Be sure and follow my Twitter feed for daily tips and tricks!

27 Responses to “Quinoa Salad”

1. Kasey

Quinoa is definitely one of my favorite grains. I love how you put this salad in individual little glass jars. What an inspiring picnic idea!

2. Julia

Funny, I think it’s totally the trendy grain too. But, I’ll ride the quinoa trendy train as long as it’s here…
    Your little salads in the jars are perfect for picnics, love it!

3. mtwildflower

I just bought some quinoa for the first time last week. This will be a great recipe to try it out with.

Thanks for posting it to Pinterest.

4. Star

About how much dressing would you use? A friend of mine started a cooking meet up where moms come together on Monday night and bring a healthy dish and we divide it among who comes and then we have healthy lunches for the week! This would be great for that but I’m not good on deciding how much so if you could give me a starting point that would be great.

5. Rachel

Hi Star,

I’d recommend starting out with 1 Tbls of dressing. Mix it together and see how it tastes, if you’d like more you can add 1/2 a Tbls at a time until you get it to the flavor you’d like. If you’re going to make it for your Cooking Meet Up I might even suggest you leave it undressed (just mixed dry) and let the mommy’s dress it at home so they could use the flavoring and consistency that they’d like.

6. Saffron Extract Diet

This design is steller! You definitely know how to keep a reader entertained.

Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own
    blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really enjoyed what you
    had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

7. http://www.docstoc.

The importance and functions of the bassinet are multiple, as numerous parent
    or guardians can easily vouch for. Therefore we recommend you to go for a well-known brand always.
    For those that are not aware of it, a bassinet is basically a small infant bed that houses newly born babies for the first few months after birth of the
    baby.

8. Gabriela

Hey! It looks as though we both have a passion for the same thing.
    Your blog, “Quinoa Salad | My Chic Life” and mine
    are very similar. Have you ever thought about writing a guest post for a similar
    blog? It will definitely help gain exposure to your website (my site recieves a lot of traffic).
    If you’re interested, contact me at: [email protected]. Thank you so much

9. lad

Its such as you read my thoughts! You appear to grasp so much about this, such as you wrote the guide in it or something. I believe that you simply can do with some percent to power the message house a bit, but instead of that, that is excellent blog. A fantastic read. I’ll definitely be back.

×