The Chic Office

If you’ve been following the blog for a while you might have read the journey of our house remodel, and wondered “where are they now?” I know at least some of you are wondering because I get at least a weekly request for an update. I haven’t been quick to do it because while the house is “finished” it isn’t completely decorated and I wanted to be able to show you the final product. But since you keep asking I figured I’d just show you where we are today. We’ll go room by room, and today, I’m starting with my office.

I love the my home office because it’s sincerely my domain. I’m not afraid to be whimsical or even weird because it’s my own personal space and if I like it, I find a way to use it. You can read all about how I revamped this dresser HERE I use it to hold all my office gear (paper, stationary, binders, etc). I found the C-H-I-C letters on etsy and plan on framing some favorite photos to put underneath them. The tray holds a graphic print I love, an award I received and a note I got the first time I did The Nate Berkus Show. I try and surround myself with items that inspire me and make me feel proud of the work that I’m doing every day.

I wanted a way to display all my magazines… I used a framed piece of art I wasn’t totally in love with as a tray, stacked the magazines on top of them and then used this glass head as a “paper weight”. The vintage hat was a gift from my Aunt that I’ve had for probably 20 years.

The vintage bird cage was something that Nana gave me. I spray painted it black and use it as a display.

The little birds attached were leftover from my Good Day LA appearance so I added them on there. Jackson suggested we name them, so they are forever dubbed, Cletus and Tiny.

No one on my staff is full time, I work with several different freelancers and interns so I needed a great big landing area for them. I bought two craft tables and placed them back to back and used vintage stools from the flea market for seating. Plenty of room for laptops and projects!

I found this vintage iron bird feeder at the flea market months ago and I could NOT figure out what to use it for but I loved it. It sat around for a while, and then finally I thought of using it as a holder for office supplies.

My desk is actually a dining room table I found and loved. Some day I’ll get super fancy chairs but for now I’m rocking the Ikea special.

I love bulletin boards, I have them all over the house! This one holds anything I find inspiring and sits above another dresser from Nana that I repainted.

The chevron pattern on this dresser inspired my pillows and that hat is what made me think of using a hat for my magazine paper weight.

I got this charm years ago and it always hangs by my desk… it reminds me daily how blessed I am.

I always have seasonal magazines around for inspiration. Below that are business cards of people I’ve met recently that I hold in a vintage mini loaf pan.

On my desk are framed photos of my best girlfriends. They make me laugh, calm me down, and support me every day. Just seeing these images will brighten my mood. =)

I love fresh floral or greenery in the office… it makes me feel like Oprah. So I either go buy floral or go clip some from my back yard… this week it’s a few sprigs from my gardenia bush. I don’t love paper trays, but I need them! I subbed out my Grandpa’s vintage platter and it works perfectly. I hope you enjoyed this peek into Chic Headquarters.

Do you have a unique office or unique ways of displaying items in your home? Comment below, I’d love to hear about it!!

12 Responses to “The Chic Office”

1. Shawn

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a
    very well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info.

Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.

2. favorite video

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across
    this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much.

I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

3. best San Diego

I always used to study article in news papers but now as
    I am a user of internet so from now I am using net for articles,
    thanks to web.

4. business internet

I’d like to thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this website. I really hope to see the same high-grade content by you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own, personal site now ;)

5. thebleeckerblog.

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely great. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way
    in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart.

I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific website.

6. Shabby Chic Bedroom

It’s an opportunity to be more daring than you would in a normal room
    of your house. You might want to give the room a subtle texture by applying wood squares and making your own paneling.

Checking with your local thrift stores can also lead to a great find.
    Lighting is important of course, and a subtle yet beautiful French chandelier works
    beautifully well in a shabby chic room, providing an atmosphere that suggests
    a timeless sense of style. Lamps and other items are now available with modern style and
    one can get hold of some beautiful designs available
    in the market. First, clean the piece with a cleaning solution, and then soften the edges, including the nicked areas, with sandpaper.
    You will find that once you begin distressing one or two pieces then your whole home will soon become
    shabby chic. There are a couple of ways that you could
    approach it, the easiest option is to find old shelves that you like the style of but not the colour.
    If you are outnumbered by males in your home,
    you have my sympathy. Then you can layer green and white toile fabrics with striped
    furniture and porcelain lamps.

Feel free to visit my web blog; Shabby Chic Bedroom Furniture

About The Chic

Back in 2004 when I was looking to name my events company, I stumbled across the word 'Chic' in an old dictionary. The definition was: “a fashionable lifestyle, ideology, or pursuit”. I fell in love with the word and the idea that chic is the pursuit of something better, prettier, or cooler than you are today. Chic isn’t a state of being or even a destination, chic is the journey you take on the way to something greater. ~Rachel

Rachel's Latest Answer

Question: From RJ in Los Angeles Hi Rachel! We had a gathering last night where quite a few kids (mostly toddlers) showed up with their parents. My husband and I are childless, but love kids and aren’t afraid of messes/things breaking, etc. But, one of the mothers made a comment about “another friend of hers… Read more »

Have a question? Ask Rachel