Momfession: I Shop at The Goodwill

It’s true, I shop at the Goodwill. I also shop at the Salvation Army, Yard Sales, Flea Markets, and I am the queen of the hand-me-down! I was looking around my house yesterday and I realized just how many things I own that I didn’t buy new and I thought it might be a good idea for a post. So if you’re a scavenger like me, you’ll feel bolstered and if you’ve never imagined setting foot inside a thrift store you might reconsider.

Above is a dresser that belonged to Dave’s grandmother. When Auntie Di sent out an email asking if anyone wanted I’d recently become obsessed with this photo of someone’s fab office

From Souther Hospitality Blog

So I saw Nana’s dresser as the opportunity I was looking for… free dresser + elbow grease = cool office accessory!

First I sanded the dresser down… I know, it’s a super sexy photo, don’t be jealous!

Then I added primer to everything

Then I painted a drawer. After I stopped gagging over how wrong this green was I forced myself back down to the depot for a better green option.

Figured out the right shade of green and promptly painted it all that color.

I haven’t decorated it with anything yet but the end result is still great! Also, it is the perfect location to store all of my office supplies!

Truth be told, I’ve been shopping at the Goodwill all of my life and back when I was little it wasn’t some cool ironic-hipster thing to do it was a necessity. Now that I’m an adult I have a hard time stomaching the price tag attached to furniture when I know if I dug around enough I could find it for less.

I found this little desk years ago and wrote a blog about re-doing it it cost me $40 at the local Veterans Thrift Store (which PS has the BEST stuff because you know who donates there?? Older women and everyone knows Grandma has the best antiques!). Now this adds a burst of color to my guest room.

I found this FABULOUS 60′s ottoman at a flea market a couple of weeks ago and I love it! The chair is from Pottery Barn (a floor model sample sale!) and the pillow is from Anthropologie’s clearance rack!

This chaise was in the house when we bought it and I asked the owners if I could keep it. Since it was destined for the dumpster they said I could. Of course, as per usual, Dave thought I was insane but look at it now after a little re-work!

I’ve been collecting old suit cases for years… now I’ve stacked them up and they’re a unique side table in the guest bedroom.

The silver “H”  was $5 at a flea market and I think it looks great amongst our family photos!

This chair is one of my all time favorite makeovers!! It was Nanas as well and when it was on it’s way to our house it fell off the back of a truck on the freeway and lived to tell about it. Again, a little re-upholstery and it looks like a million bucks!

So there you have it, a brief look at all the “used” furniture in my house. In LA, and maybe where you live, it’s a bit taboo to admit to thrift store or yard sale shopping. Around here it should all be designer and cost more than your car so maybe some people will scoff when they read this but at the end of the day your home should make you feel happy and comfortable… as Oprah says, it should rise up to meet you and for me a “happy house” is one filled with vintage and color and eclectic pieces and one that I can still afford the mortgage on after I’ve furnished it!

13 Responses to “Momfession: I Shop at The Goodwill”

1. Leanne

How convenient the chair just happened to fall off the back of the truck :-)
    “I know, I don’t know how it happened, Dave” “I guess I can always have it re-upholstered.” Just kidding, of course. Everything looks fabulous and very inspiring!

2. Nikki Walker Cook

Hey Rachel. It’s been almost 6 years since I was a Chic bride….hope you’re doing well! Love the dresser – and, hey, care to share to location of the vet thrift store you go to? Take care. – N.

3. Rachel

Hey Nikki!! How are you guys?! I just checked out your blog, and i LOVE seeing your family… it always makes me happy to see clients with their babies years later. The Veterans Thrift Store I love is in Glendale on San Fernando just past Western. I have found SO many great things there (silver platters, crystal stemware, fabulous boleros and jewelry) whatever older women might donate you can find. You have to dig a bit but it’s totally worth it.

I still think of you every time I see an vintage camera at a flea market… I think you were the first person I ever knew who collected something so cool and I always admired that. xo

4. Jen

Hi Rachel,

Friend of Nikki’s here…would love to know who you use to do your upholstering? Finding a good one is so difficult!

Thanks!

5. sherlizzy

Anyone who scoffs at second hand shopping has not grasped the impotance of recycling, repurposing, renewing! Your bravery with color is enviable and how gorgeous they all look!

6. sherlizzy

Wow..that was supposed to have an “r”…importance. Amazing what one letter change do!!

7. Marcella

Such a fabulous post!! I have a strange addiction to HGTV and I love makeovers of any kind!! (people, furniture…) You are so creative and I am so impressed!

8. reupholstering

Even in these financial times you can still make your home look great and we have several ideas to assist you with procuring a cheap dining chair which looks fantastic.
    If the client doesn’t ask, do you promise something anyway or just let the work go to the bottom of the pile. Well, this begins to add up, and that means so do your options.

About The Chic

Back in 2004 when I was looking to name my events company, I stumbled across the word 'Chic' in an old dictionary. The definition was: “a fashionable lifestyle, ideology, or pursuit”. I fell in love with the word and the idea that chic is the pursuit of something better, prettier, or cooler than you are today. Chic isn’t a state of being or even a destination, chic is the journey you take on the way to something greater. ~Rachel

Rachel's Latest Answer

Question: From RJ in Los Angeles Hi Rachel! We had a gathering last night where quite a few kids (mostly toddlers) showed up with their parents. My husband and I are childless, but love kids and aren’t afraid of messes/things breaking, etc. But, one of the mothers made a comment about “another friend of hers… Read more »

Have a question? Ask Rachel